105+ Blog Niche Ideas Anyone Can Use (And How to Choose One)
Launching a blog is a great idea for a bunch of reasons -- it gives you an opportunity to express yourself, share your expertise, and even pocket some passive income. We’ve all seen videos/articles/posts by those people who have quit their 9-to-5 and become full-time bloggers… but how did they do it?
For starters, any strong blog starts out as a strong idea.
Not sure how to choose a topic for your own blog? You’re not alone. Finding a niche that is interesting and profitable can definitely be tricky, but doing the legwork early on will make it easier to come up with content ideas for your blog down the line and also help your blog grow faster.
Keep reading for a crash course in choosing a niche for your blog, including:
- Why choosing a niche for your blog is important
- How to decide if a blog niche is right for you
- 105+ blog niche ideas to get you thinking
Why Choose a Niche for Your Blog?
After all, there are countless blogs out there that seem to have a category for everything -- food, clothes, DIYs, video games, cute animal videos, all rolled into one website. Why not just write about anything and everything?
That’s definitely one way to do it, but it isn’t the most efficient way to drive traffic to your site.
Choosing a niche for your blog is helpful for a variety of reasons. Here are just a few:
- Cuts down on competition. Would you rather be a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond? The more niche the topic of your blog is, the fewer websites you’re directly competing with for views.
- Good for SEO. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the tools bloggers can use to get readers on their blog. Writing content on similar topics that target similar keywords can help you build some momentum SEO-wise.
- Goodbye writer’s block. Not sure what to write about? Not anymore. Rather than sifting through every topic under the sun when you’re trying to come up with content ideas, choosing a niche blog topic narrows your list down and makes it easier to decide what to focus on.
- Find your audience. If the topics you cover on your blog stick to a niche, chances are a reader who’s interested in one of your pieces will be interested in several. Maybe that lands you a repeat visitor, a sign up to your mailing list, or even just keeps them on your site longer -- no matter how you slice it, this is a win.
How to Decide if a Niche is Right for You
Before we jump into actual niche ideas, let’s pause for a minute and talk about how you’ll know if a niche idea is the right niche idea for you. As we’ve already discussed, there are countless niches out there, and finding the right one can be intimidating.
If you have an idea for a blog but you aren’t sure whether or not it’s The One, ask yourself these questions before you commit to it:
- Do I want to write about this topic? Keep in mind that you’ll probably be writing several posts a week in this niche. Will it still be interesting to you 10 posts from now? How about 50? Or 150? Make sure you’re ready to be researching and writing a lot about it for the foreseeable future.
- Is this topic evergreen? Meaning will people still care about it next month? How about next year? Five years from now? Evergreen topics are ones that never go out of style, and if you can find an evergreen niche, you'll get the most bang for your blog-writing buck.
- Do other people want to read about this topic? If you’ve made it this far, you feel pretty strongly that this topic is a winner. Now let’s make sure there’s an audience out there shares your interest. Just plug your idea into Google Trends and play around with it -- is your topic trending upwards? How does it compare to related searches? If you’re not sure what you’re looking at, just click the “?” button next to the title of any chart for a more detailed explanation.
- Can I make money writing in this niche? Writing solely for pleasure? Then this might not be a big one for you. But if you want to turn your passion into a paycheck, getting a sense of your niche’s profitability is a must. Look for popular Amazon products related to your niche, and seek out affiliate programs from related brands. Are there companies out there who might be interested in partnering with a blog in your niche to promote their product? These are the kinds of things you’re looking for.
105+ Awesome Blog Niche Ideas to Jumpstart Your Brainstorming
Still looking for some blog niche inspiration? You’ve come to the right place! We’ve put together a massive list of 105+ blog niche ideas to get you started, broken down by some common blog categories.
As you’re going through this list, keep asking yourself how your blog in this niche could be different. What would set it apart? What unique perspective could you bring to the table?
Mom/Dad Blog Niche Ideas
Commonly referred to as “mommy blogs,” these blogs center on parenting-related topics. Here are a few niches within the mom/dad blog category to consider:
- Working mom
- Single mom/dad
- Mom/dad of multiples
- Eco-friendly/sustainable parenting
- Parenting kids with a wide age gap
- Self care for moms/dads
- Things to do with kids
- Dating with kids
- Marriage tips with kids
- Kid-friendly book reviews
- Kid-friendly recipes
- Kid-friendly crafts/DIYs
- Mom/dad fashion
- Mom/dad-friendly side hustles
- Special needs parenting
Tech Blog Niche Ideas
Are you tech-savvy? It’s time to turn your technical proclivities into an awesome blog. Here are a few tech blog ideas to get you started:
- Artificial intelligence
- Tutorials using a particular platform or tool
- Programming languages
- Tech news
- App reviews
- Game reviews
- Hardware/software reviews
- Tech for X (Writers, Marketers, Moms…)
- Accessibility advances
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Digital design
- Augmented/virtual reality
Food Blog Niche Ideas
If your photos app has more pics of paella (home-made or from your favorite restaurant) than it does selfies, you may just be a foodie. Yes, there are countless food blogs out there already, but that doesn’t mean you can’t find a way to give food blogging your own unique flavor. Consider these starting points:
- Keto food
- Paleo food
- Food for kids
- Food for college students
- Diabetes-friendly food
- Gluten-Free food
- Dairy-Free food
- Vegetarian/Vegan food
- Nut-free food
- Food for athletes
- Budget-friendly food
- Restaurant reviews
- Kitchen/cookware reviews
- Gourmet food
Lifestyle Blog Niche Ideas
Many topics fall under the “lifestyle” blogging umbrella -- health, fashion, beauty, the list goes on. If you’re tired of seeing the same OOTD posts every week or reading the same weight loss tips, check out some of these niche lifestyle blog ideas instead:
- Alternative fashion (corporate goth, rockabilly, street style, vintage...)
- Inclusive fashion (bodies of all shapes, sizes, and abilities)
- Eco-friendly/sustainable beauty
- Fitness for X (moms, college students, etc.)
- Vegetarian/vegan nutrition
- Mental health awareness/advocacy
- Digital design
- Minimalist living
- Making money online
- Specific type of TV shows/ movies
- Sports (get creative… maybe start a Quidditch blog?)
- Political satire
Travel Blog Niche Ideas
Whether you’re an expat, a jetsetter, or a couchsurfer dreaming of seeing the world, starting a travel blog could be your next adventure. Here are just a few ways a niche travel blog could look:
- Destinations for college students
- Destinations for families
- Budget-travel destinations
- Haunted destinations
- Places you’ll never visit
- Destinations for hikers/bikers/mountain climbers
- Destinations for art/culture lovers
- Destinations for foodies
- Guide to beaches around the world
- Best destinations for destination weddings
- Travel photography
- Travel gear reviews
- Guide to using public transport in different cities
- Traveling with a nut allergy/gluten-intolerance/other dietary concern
- Where to go to find yourself
Product Review Blog Niche Ideas
Reviewing products is always a great way to go, particularly if you want to monetize your blog. You can create a product review blog on anything from vehicles to office supplies. Here are a few fun ideas to get you started:
- Ping pong tables
- Home swimming pools
- Gardening supplies
- Craft supplies
- Eco-friendly/sustainable brands
- Pet products
- Nail polish
- Sheets/pillows/sleep products
- Newborn products
- Kitchen gadgets
- Ski equipment
Gamer Blog Niche Ideas
Gaming and esports have exploded onto the entertainment scene in the last decade, and they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. If you’re looking for ways to turn your interest in gaming into a little extra pocket change for your setup, these blog niche ideas are for you:
- Gaming setups
- How to start streaming
- Tips for beginning gamers
- Monetize gaming
- Reviewing games
- Reviewing equipment
- eSports news
- eSports teams
- eSports athletes
- Hacks for specific games
- Cheat codes
- Games for kids
- Games for creatives
- VR games
- Multiplayer games
106. Something entirely different
These ideas should get you started, but when it really comes down to it, choosing a niche for your blog is about you. Draw from your life and your experiences. Think about your hobbies and interests, or things that you wish you knew how to do, but don’t.
If none of these ideas felt quite right, don’t worry -- spend some time brainstorming, keep your eyes open, and the right idea is sure to come along.